Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Sick Lion

I just tried to install Mac OS X Lion (10.7) on my Macbook. It was probably the worst installation I have ever experienced. Lion crashed and killed my admin user so I could only log in as a normal user with no rights. There is basically no way of a clean install unless you format the entire disk. The @«€&-?! installer has to be downloaded every @«€&-?! time which takes forever. It was more fun to install System 7 off floppy disks.

Update:
After having wiped my disk, I am no longer able to activate FileVault because the recovery partition has also been wiped and not been reinstalled by the Mac OS X Lion Installer. The whole process is so unbelievably stupid. Does anyone at Apple even have tested this? I am currently downloading the installer for the 4th time... Un-@«€&-?!-believable...

Update 2:
OK, it was not the recovery partition. It is there. But FileVault just does not work. I reinstalled the system. I reset the PRAM. I checked file system integrity. I checked and repaired (there were errors!) file permissions. All to no avail.

I must say this is one of the worst experiences I have ever, ever had with any Apple product.

These problems are probably related to FileVault. Apart from FileVault the clean install system seems to work just fine. But… I’ll stick with Snow Leopard until I get FileVault to work. And, frankly, I would like my money back. That’s why you should not run a .0-release if you want things to just work. Apple’s software is no exception here. I should have known better.

No comments:

Post a Comment